Wednesday, October 8, 2008

A quick note on multi-tasking

There are different opinions on multi-tasking these days. Some tasks lose effectiveness exponentially when combined with other tasks. However, depending on the task, you can get effective work done if you work smart. Yesterday, I watched the vice presidential debate and while I watched, my wife and I assembled products on the couch. This only took 5 minutes to set up, and we gain a 90 minute overlap of productivity. The trick is pairing tasks correctly so that you can effectively accomplish both. I'm actually watching the presidential debate now, and finding it a little harder to effectively think, type and listen to the debate. So I'm going to have to end this article now and find another task to pair with watching the debate.


Just one last thing... If you need to watch television (there is good benefit in relaxation and enjoying good entertainment, and will keep your mind and body heathy to take a break from work once in a while) watch it on the internet to avoid the majority of the commercials. Most network programs are available as streaming media on the web.


No comments: