Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Portability of the Chicken

LONDON - NOVEMBER 28:  PETA (People For The Et...Image by Getty Images via Daylife If you're working to create a business it better be something that excites you, (IF IT'S NOT, STOP RIGHT NOW!) and since that is the case, it's likely that it will be on your mind ALL the time at one level or another. So thoughts and ideas are will come to you when you least expect it. Make sure you're prepared for the thoughts when they come. If you're on the road, a soccer game, or a movie make sure you've got some tool that you can use to record your ideas. It's good to keep them all in one place so that you don't lose them at the end of the day.

If you have a PDA or Blackberry, these can be good tools. I have an antiquated PDA that was given to me a few years ago. It doesn't have any bells and whistles, but it records my ideas and that's all I need. The best part is that it has voice recording too, so if I'm in the car (as I often am) I can still record my ideas without crashing and dying. When I get home I plug it into the base and it syncs with my computer so that all of my files and tasks are in the same place.

I think it's important to take a few minutes (or hours even) to get these conveniences set up. It can save oodles of time if you have a nice system in place, even if it's one small notebook that lives in a certain pocket or is accessible to you all the time.

The point is, if you're trying to do things you enjoy, you're going to have to be able to get some amount of work done away from your desk. And in this day and age that's not too hard to accomplish, and it makes a huge difference for productivity.
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments: